Classic Soda Bread
Makes 1 Loaf
250g Plain White Flour
250g Plain Wholemeal Flour
5g (1 tsp) Salt
6g (1tsp) Bicarbonate of Soda
425g Buttermilk (approximately)
1. Place all the dry ingredients into a large bowl.
2. Stir together to disperse.
3. Make a well in the centre and add about 3/4s of the buttermilk.
4. Using a metal spoon or scraper stir the ingredients together.
5. Add more of the buttermilk as required to form a soft dough.
6. Scrape the dough onto a floured table.
7. Knead lightly and quickly to form a dough.
8. Shape round and place onto a paper-lined tray.
9. Dust with plain flour through a sieve.
10. Cut the bread into 4 quarters with a knife or metal scraper.
11. Bake immediately at 200°c for approximately 25-30 minutes.
12. Remove when the bread is golden brown.
13. Tap the base if it sounds hollow the bread is cooked
14. Place aside to cool for 30 minutes.
As the colder weather comes in this quick and easy bread makes a quick and perfect accompaniment to a bowl of stew or home-made soup. It is super quick to make and delicious. Traditionally it’s made with half white flour and half brown. You do not need strong flour for this just plain flour but as always buy the best quality. I use marriages flours so if you can get hold of their flours do they are wonderful!
You do not need strong flour or yeast for this recipe but just the wonderful chemical reaction of the bicarbonate of soda which reacts to the lactic acid of the buttermilk and the heat of the oven. This wonderful bread can be made in less than an hour so if you want fresh bread but are pushed for time give this a go.